Arabic Knowledge Requirements
1. Students should be able to write the Arabic letters neatly and correctly and pronounce them perfectly. (With Fat-ha, Kasra and Dammah endings.)
2. Be better able to join the letters in writing with punctuation: periods, exclamation points, commas.
3. Know more basic vocabulary including a working knowledge of ten new verbs and ten new nouns that are drawn from the Qur'an.
4. Introduce them to the singular and plural suffix pronouns and how to use them. (ka, ki, ha, hu, ee, naa, kum, kunna, hum, hunna.) i.e. Kitabuka: your book, Kitabakum, all of your book, etc...
5. Understand that one must know Arabic to read and understand the Holy Qur'an the best.
6. Know some simple Nasheeds (Arabic/English). Here are some examples.
7. Know and can identify the difference between long and short vowels. There are three short and three long vowels.
8. Without having to memorize them yet, the students should be introduced to the concept of the names of the months in Arabic. The teacher must have an Islamic calendar in the class showing both Western and Muslim dates at all times. Frequently ask them what month it is.
9. Will be able to form 10-15 questions and answers related to introductory conversation.
10. Arabic counting numbers up to 10 and the days of the week.
11. Know the markers for tanween, sukoon, kasra, fat-ha, damma.
12. Know the prepositions Min (from, of) and Maan (who) 'alaa (upon), Ma'a (with) and how to use them with or without suffixes. (Ma'akum: With all of you (m.) etc...)
13. Understand the concept of the hamza (glottal stop) and how to pronounce it correctly. Perfect their knowledge of how to Merge sun letters with the following related sounds. (Al Shams becomes Ash shams, etc...)
14. Begin more intense mastery of the past tense of verbs and their usage.
15. The present tense can be introduced to advance students.
16. In conjunction with the Surahs that are to be memorized, according to the Islamic studies curriculum for this grade level, you may introduce new words as you see they are ready for them.
Send mail to
with questions or
comments about this web site.